17.8.15

November 16 - The Other Luxor Hotel

I had decided to split my Luxor stay over two hotels to enjoy the very different aspects of the two Banks.  The West Bank is quiet, almost rural, and my hotel there fitted right in with the peaceful ambiance.  In contrast, the East Bank is a zoo - a very noisy zoo, but not without its charms.

This room has a television, the first I have seen since arrival.  To see what was on offer, I spun the dial around to the only English speaking channel (from Dubai).  And what was on but Britain's Got Talent, with that dreadful Simon person pontificating.  Haven't turned it on since.

I have been staying at the Nefertiti, which is one of the oldest of the boutiiqe (read small and cheap) hotels.  It is wedged between Luxor Temple and the tourist Souq, the Souq probably being the noisiest place in Egypt.  By day it is screaming merchants, motorbikes, and the cries of tourists being eaten alive by the shlock merchants.  By night, the locals have a loudspeaker system playing Egyptian pop music for the entertainment and edification of the whole of Luxor.  The main speaker is just under my window.

No complaints, though.  The room is clean, bed is comfortable, water is hot, staff are obliging, and the  restaurant is good.


The rooftop sitting area - great spot for breakfast or lunch, and after-dinner tea and shsiha.


View from the rooftop across to Luxor Temple.  What you might call centrally located.


Outside, the hotel has its own alley, where the main dining room is located.  After a long day in Temples. and just ambling around the town, it is nice to not have to go far for dinner.  The food is very good.  I must see if I can find some Egyptian recipes to try at home.  They have a talent for using spices in  a way that has great flavor without being at all hot.  

Just paid the bill, by the way, as I have an early morning departure for Aswan.  Three nights, three breakfasts, three dinners, lunch box for tomorrow came to AU$180.  

No comments: