The last few days in Cairo were not too busy - I could have done more, but I was g\beginning to feel a bit weary.
I did have one outing,to Akenaton's city of Akhetaten. This is an area not often visited by tourists as it is about a four hour drive south of Cairo. However, I found it quite interesting and was glad I went.
There isn't much to see on the broad plain where the city used to be - Akhenaten's successors destroyed most of the city. One structure still partially standing is Akhenaten's palace. I found that quite interesting, as it shows a seldom-seen side of Egyptian architecture. Unlike the tombs and temples meant to last for eternity, homes - even royal palaces - were essentially mud-brick structures meant to last for just a few years.
This, believe it or not, is the remnants of Akenaton's mud-brick palace. It is still possible to identify the functions of some of the rooms. Surprisingly, there are no large rooms at all, most rooms are about the size of rooms in a modern house. The notion of magnificent throne rooms and other massive public rooms seems to be completely inaccurate.
There were several very interesting tombs, including the tomb build for Akhenaten but probably never used. I wasn't able to get pictures of any of the tomb interiors. My guide and I were taken around by a Guardian, who would no doubt have been happy enough to let me take pictures for a little cash, but the Kalishnakov-toting security man we were required to have with us was not so co-operative.
Apart from the palace which was down on the plain, everything worth seeing was up an immense climb. The tiny car down at the bottom of the flight of steps you can see to the left of the photo give you an idea.
Exterior of some of the really very beautiful tombs surviving in the hills.
Remnants of some of the cliff carvings marking the boundaries of the city.




No comments:
Post a Comment