One of the most iconic sites of Ancient Egypt, perhapsone of the most amazing aspects of it is that it is impossible to see where it was cut into blocks to be raised above the waters of the new Lake Nasser.
The sheer size is overwhelming, even though the quality of the work is not to be compared to the works of his father Seti.Photography isn't allowed inside, but as I had the place entirely to myself I could pretty much do as I liked. The third photo, of the sacred heart of the Temple is one of the eeriest places I have ever been. It actually feels as if Ptah, Amun, Rmanses, and Ra Horatky are actually there.
The final photo is Nefertiiri's Temple. Only very slightly less magnificent than Ramses own.
I spent most of a day wandering around these two Temples and their precinct. There is so much to see that doesn't lend itself to quick and dirty snapshots that don't do justice to either the scale or the detail.




No comments:
Post a Comment